As soon as we got the chance to we made our way to Vermont to make it legal. It was easy to do and the best move we ever made.

I recently had to get an operation and Joe was not allowed to see me in recovery until he showed the civil union papers to prove that he was my next of kin.So here it is. We did it and we want to show everyone how they can do it too!

Monday, July 24 Joe and I entered into a state of Vermont sanctioned, Civil Union.

We're legal! And we are thankful to everyone who has given us so much support and encouragement of wonderful relationship of ours. Mind you, this is not something to be taken lightly. This is a legal step and one you must be sure you want. It carries with it important responsibilities. Without the correct terminology and legal definitions we also realized how hard it was to find information about this on the Internet. So, here is how you can get started.

After looking at a map of Vermont, decide what town in Vermont you want to visit. Then contact their Chamber of Commerce and get the number of the Town Clerk's Office. Have them fax you information on the Civil Union procedure and you're set. We got a list of justice of the peace from them and after choosing one, notified him that we'd be in town and wanted to certify the civil union. They can usually see you within 24 hours if not the same day.

Normally you would have to get your license at the Town Clerk's office and then you have 60 days to certify your union. Missy holds up our Civil Union Certificate. We went to the Town of Brattleboro, Vermont. If you want to do this there, you should call them at 802-254-4541.